Monday 9 May 2011

Mobile Analytics Export

I would like to talk about analytics and the export function. Sometimes the analytics tools just can't do what you want. Maybe it doesn't give the KPI you are looking for or just not in-depth enough to provide a clear view of what is happening. Don't get me wrong sometimes we go too deep and often can forget what we were searching for in the first place. But, it is always good to know that you can do that if you want.

As the title mentions this is about CEM4Mobile Analytics Surveys and Ranking. I use this analytics tool daily. I am always looking for a new KPI to produce or data to play around with. That is why I find the export function in CEM4Mobile so great. Yes, of course there are hundreds of different options inside the portal for organizing data, segmenting users, cross analyzing, following market trends, or discovering top performing marketing channels. However, so much more can be discovered by exporting in CSV form and manipulating the data with Microsoft Excel or Open Office equivalent Calc.

Every chart in CEM4Mobile has an export function, but the one I use the most is probably from the cross-analysis function. There the data can be shown in "daily view" so I can follow the activities of everyday.

Most recently I made a chart in Excel 2007 where I have cross analyzed handsets with user status. My goal was to find correlations between: handsets, user status, pageviews per visit, bounce rate, and visit length. With this information I could more accurately target handsets that are performing the best overall on my site and use this to improve and track user status for more loyal customers.



Previously, I have made more in-depth analyses. One such example was a previous 3 month, month by month comparison. That specific example I was examining the changes in hourly usage. I imported each month's data in the three selected areas. I found the average of pageviews, unique users, and visits for each month's average hourly amount. I then calculated the change of the most recent month from the previous month. If the change was for the better it would automatically insert a green upward pointing arrow. If the change was for the worse it would present a downward pointing red arrow. Additionally, the figures for the most recent month were colored red, yellow, or green. Red numbers were if the numbers were more than 10% below average. Yellow numbers were the 3 month average plus or minus 10%. Green numbers represented figures more than 10% above the average amount.



If anyone has any questions about using Excel to get these kinds of calculations or more I would be glad to try and assist you. Maybe I can start writing blogs posts in detail how to manipulate to find KPI's. Just so you know my specialty is in mobile analytics and I am by far not a pro Excel user, but I can try to offer my assistance in any case.

No comments:

Post a Comment